Welcome to Our Eat the Rainbow Series!
One of the things I love most about vegan food is the variety of colour. Fruit and veggies come in such a beautiful rainbow selection of colours that I thought I would pay homage to this in a seven part recipe series. Each week I shall work through the colours of the rainbow with a new recipe inspired by that colour.
Yellow: Passion Fruit and Chocolate Cake
So this week was a very exciting week in our home as it was the boyfriend’s birthday and celebrations with us always call for a lots of tasty food. So I whipped up this delicious vegan celebration cake and we went out for afternoon tea where they provided the most incredible vegan spread of finger sandwiches, scones and mini cakes. All in all a fantastic foodie birthday!
This is a rich, dense and fudgy chocolate cake which is beautifully complemented by the smooth vanilla buttercream and the sweet passionfruit.
It makes for a perfect celebration cake and the beautiful yellow colour of the passionfruit makes for a stunning centrepiece.
I hope you love this dish as much as I do. What are your favourite yellow foods and dishes? Let us know in the comments below and on Twitter!
Check out all seven Rainbow recipes HERE!
Vegan Passionfruit and Chocolate Celebration Cake
- 215ml almond milk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 260g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 heaped tsp bicarb of soda
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g vegan margarine
For the icing
- 150g icing sugar
- 75g vegan margarine
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- one large passion fruit
- Add the lime juice to the almond milk and stir.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and bicarb. Add the caster sugar. Mix until combined.
- Melt the margarine. Add the margarine and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Beat for two minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool.
- For the icing, beat together the margarine, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread onto the cake once cool.
- Drizzle the passionfruit onto the icing.
Serve and enjoy!