Welcome to Our Eat the Rainbow Series!
One of the things I love most about vegan food is the variety of colour. Fruit and veggies come in such a beautiful rainbow selection of colours that I thought I would pay homage to this in a seven part recipe series. Each week I shall work through the colours of the rainbow with a new recipe inspired by that colour.
Orange: Vegan Butternut Squash and Pepper Salad
After all the indulgence of the Easter Weekend, I thought this beautiful, fresh orange and green salad was the perfect recipe.
Fresh leaves topped with roasted squash and baby new potatoes, sliced pepper and green beans with a scattering of pine nuts, samphire, crispy sage and pumpkin seeds for extra goodness. It is hearty yet fresh and therefore the perfect springtime dinner.
I hope you love this dish as much as I do. What are your favourite orange foods and dishes?
Let us know in the comments below and on Twitter!
Check out all seven Rainbow recipes HERE!
Vegan Butternut Squash and Pepper Salad
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 2 large handful baby leaves
- 8 new potatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 10 green beans, chopped
- 1 cup of butternut squash chunks
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 tsp samphire
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried paprika
- salt and pepper, to season
- Drizzle the butternut squash and new potatoes with a little oil and the dried sage and paprika. Roast at 180°C for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Fry the peppers in a little oil for 3 minutes until softened then add a splash of water to the pan and cook on a low heat for a further 5 minutes until soft.
- Boil the green beans for 5-7 minutes or until cooked.
- Fry the sage leaves until crisp.
- On a plate, assemble the salad. Start with the leaves at the bottom of the plate and then cover with potatoes, squash, peppers and beans. Sprinkle over the pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sage leaves and samphire.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!