Vegan Chocolate and Orange Hot Cross Buns
For the bread
- 150ml almond milk
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 7g dried yeast
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 40g plain chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
For the crosses
- 45g plain flour
- 3 tbsp water
- Place the flour, sugar, yeast, mixed spice, ginger, salt and orange zest into a bowl and combine.
- Gradually add in the almond milk and oil, combining to form a smooth dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for five to ten minutes until the surface is smooth and has a little spring to it when pushed.
- Leave to prove in a warm spot for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Gently knead the dough once again, this time incorporating the chocolate chips into the mixture so they are evenly spread within the dough.
- Divide into 6 balls and place into a lightly greased tin and allow to prove for a further 45 minutes.
- For the crosses, mix together the flour and water to form a thick paste. Pipe crosses on top of the buns.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C until lightly brown and sounding hollow when tapped.
- Brush the warm buns lightly with a little agave syrup.
* Add a little more milk if too dry or a little more flour if wet or sticky.
Serve and enjoy!