Weekday breakfasts in our house are a speedy affair. It’s a hurried grab a bowl, throw in some yoghurt, chuck cereal on top and eat speedily before running out of the door to work. However, weekend brunches are a completely different affair. It’s a slow stroll out to the kitchen in our pyjamas contemplating what deliciousness we can whip up with all the infinite weekend time in our hands. I love to make fruity pancakes, enormous vegan fry ups and this vegan french toast.
For those of you who don’t know what french toast is, traditionally it is slices of bread soaked in milk and egg, then fried (also known as eggy bread). As with vegan pancakes, I initially spent a little time contemplating converting a mainly milk and egg recipe into delicious plate of vegan goodness, but I really love this recipe.
Feel free to use whatever bread you fancy – I used seedy wholemeal bread because that’s one of our favourites but experiment to find your favourite! I love french toast with a little syrup and fresh fruit, but it is equally delicious savoury topped with fried mushrooms and tomatoes.
Vegan French Toast with Fresh Fruit
- 175ml almond milk
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- fresh fruit, to serve
- Mix together the flax egg, milk, maple syrup and mixed spice together in a shallow bowl.
- Slice the bread into small slices. Place in the milk-egg mixture and leave for 5 minutes to absorb and soak in.
- Heat a little oil in a pan over a medium heat. Place the bread into the pan and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Serve in a stack with a drizzle of maple syrup, cover with sliced fresh fruit and enjoy.
* 1 tbsp ground flaxseed combined with 3 tbsp water, left to thicken for 10 minutes.
PIN FOR LATER!