I hate to live up to the British stereotype and start talking about the weather to open this post but… isn’t it absolutely freezing outside? I went out for a swim this morning and in the short walk but to the car afterwards I was pretty sure my wet hair had turned to ice! As pretty as the falling snow is, now I am very much enjoying sitting inside with my thermal top, fluffy blanket and a slice of apple cake. Oh and of course a cup of tea, ticking all the British stereotypes in one!
I hope this recipe brings you a little warmth into this wintry spell. This apple cake is moist, dense and almost apple tart like. It is a lovely cake to bring out when you have people visiting (especially if they have had a long traipse in the snow to reach you) and it is really simple to make.
What are your favourite cold weather recipes? Let us know on Twitter and in the comments below!
Vegan Apple and Cinnamon Cake
- 200g plain flour
- 150g vegan margarine
- 150g caster sugar
- 150ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 apples**
- Grease and line a cake tin***. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the almond milk and the apple cider vinegar.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the flax egg to the butter and sugar and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add the almond milk mixture into the bowl.
- Add the flour, bicarb, cinnamon and nutmeg into the mixture and beat until combined.
- Core the apples. Peel one apple, chop finely and stir into the mixture. Slice the other two apples into fine slices.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and layer the apple slices on top of the cake.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer placed into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
* 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp of water. Leave for at least 5 minutes before using in the recipe.
** About 300g of uncored apple. We used Cox but feel free to experiment with your favourites.
*** We used an 8 inch round sandwich cake tin.
Serve with a warm cup of tea and enjoy! Stay warm everyone!