This weekend we had a big family get together and I was hosting for Sunday elevenses. That of course means lots of cups of tea and a strong cake selection. I decided to whip up some vegan caramel shortbread (an absolute crowd pleaser, check out the recipe here) and a delicious chocolate cake. They went down a storm and fed people up until we went out for an Italian at lunch, because family gatherings must revolve around food, right?
I love incorporating fruit and veggies into cakes, whilst I am not kidding myself in thinking that adding them into the mix makes the cake suddenly healthy, it does add a real moistness to the texture of the cake. Carrot cake, banana loaf and this beetroot cake are some of my favourites. The earthiness of the beetroot beautifully pairs with the rich cocoa with the tangy orange adding a little zing to the mix. It is a moist, dense and rich cake which makes for the perfect centrepiece. If you are a beetroot hater I cannot promise to convert you to a beetroot lover with this cake, but if you are a fan of beetroot I would definitely give this a try.
Vegan Beetroot, Chocolate and Orange Cake
- 150g plain flour
- 100g beetroot, cooked
- 20g cocoa
- 50ml orange juice
- 125ml almond milk + 25ml for icing
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- zest of 1 orange
- 50g vegan chocolate*
- Mash the beetroot until smooth.
- Mix the orange juice and almond milk together.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- Add the beetroot into the flour mixture and then pour in the milk mixture and oil.
- Add the orange zest and then whisk the mixture together until it is smooth.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes or until cooked through.**
- Leave the cake to cool.
- Melt the chocolate with the almond milk until smooth. Spread evenly over the top of the cake.***
* We love using an orange dark chocolate to add extra orange.
** Test this by putting a skewer into the cake and checking that it comes out clean.
*** If you want to go all out with decoration, top with a little orange zest too!