Saturday night takeaways are great. However, not so many options if you are vegan. Why not whip your own pizzas – they are cheaper, healthier and more fun!
We love a thin, crispy base that reminds us of pizza on sunny holidays in Italy with a cheeky vino on the side. Make sure you knead the dough well, roll the dough out nice and thin and use a pizza tray to get a crisp base (or a pizza oven if you are lucky enough).
We were never great fans of cheese and so we tend to skip on the vegan cheese, but if you are a fan then you can easily adapt this recipe to top it off with lashings of vegan cheese! What we do love on our pizza is thin slices of herby, basil tofu.
How do you like your pizzas? What are your favourite vegan pizza toppings? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
- 600g strong white flour (or plain flour)
- 7g instant yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml warm water
- salt and pepper
- 100ml passata
- 100ml tomato puree
- handful of fresh basil
- selection of vegetables, we like peppers, mushroom, courgette, aubergine, artichokes and sundried tomatoes
- basil tofu (we use https://taifun-tofu.de/en/tofu-basilico)
- 4 tsp vegan pesto
- Make your bread dough. Combine the flour, yeast, oil, water, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add more or less water in order to bring the dough nicely together into a ball. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, then leave to prove for 30 minutes.
- Slice your vegetables and tofu.
- Make your tomato sauce. Combine the passata, puree and basil into a smooth paste.
- Make your pizzas! Split the dough into 3 or 4 balls. Roll these out into a thin circle and place into a pizza tray. Spread tomato sauce almost to the edges. Top with vegetables, tofu and pesto.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 190°C.
Serve and enjoy!