Vegan Caramel Shortbread
- 1 batch of simple shortbread dough – recipe here
- 275g sugar – half caster and half dark brown
- 150g vegan butter
- 100ml soy cream
- 100g vegan chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a tin (I used 20x12cm) with baking paper.
- Press the shortbread dough into the base of the tin and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- As the shortbread is cooling, make the caramel in a saucepan.
- Combine the butter and sugar and allow to melt over a low heat. Caution – the mixture will be very hot – be careful.
- Stir for 2 minutes and then add the cream to the pan.
- Continue to stir for a few minutes and gently cook until the caramel thickens to a thick pouring consistency. Be patient, don’t be tempted to turn up the heat.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread, spread evenly and leave to cool.
- Melt the chocolate and spread over the caramel evenly.
- Leave to cool, then cut into slices.
Serve and enjoy!