As Autumn nights draw closer in, what could be more perfect for dinner than a hearty bowl of rich, herby risotto packed full of delicious chestnut mushrooms and topped with peppery rocket?
My other half can be a fussy vegan at times (check out the sweetcorn fritters for more fussy eating escapades) and he is not a fan of the creamy sauce. So when I have a night to myself it is all about cream whether it’s a creamy pasta sauce, risotto or the coconut creaminess of a Thai green curry. So last time I had an evening to myself, it was a glass of vino alongside this mushroom risotto, delicious!
A good creamy risotto is easy to veganify using soy cream. Nutritional yeast can also be used to give a cheesy flavour. And of course, risotto rice oozes a natural creaminess that adds to the dish also.
It’s easy, cheesy, creamy and dreamy.
Didn’t know I was a poet, eh?
Now to think of something to rhyme with mushroom… Suggestions?
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Risotto
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 200g arborio rice
- splash of white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp soya cream
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp each of dried oregano, thyme and rosemary
- 1 tsp of garlic infused olive oil
- handful of rocket
- Heat the oil in the pan and add in the spring onion and mushrooms. Fry gently until softened, then add the rice and cook for a further minute.
- Add the splash of wine and then gradually add in the stock, add a little and let it cook down and then add some more. You may use all the stock and need extra you may not need the whole amount.
- During cooking, add in the cream, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- After approximately 20 minutes, test the rice to see if it is cooked. It should be al dente in texture but not firm.
- When cooked, add in the nutritional yeast and parsley.
- Serve and garnish with the rocket.