Autumn is certainly rolling in, the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder. This recipe represents me clinging on to summer with one last attempt – perfect on a summer day but also perfect to brighten up a gloomy September evening.
One of the best things about vegan food? The vast rainbow array of colours on offer. This tart showcases these colours and is pretty delicious too. Crisp flaky pastry with soft roasted vegetables on a base of herby pesto – what could be more perfect?
I’m all for simple cooking during the week and whilst I can whip up shortcrust pastry quickly, the time and resting that puff pastry requires is way beyond me on an evening after work (sorry). Jus-rol puff pastry is widely available, contains no butter so is 100% vegan and means you can roll and go – allowing me to spend more time arranging the veg!
Vegan Pesto Asparagus Tart
- 300g ready made puff pastry
- 2 tbsp vegan pesto
- 10 asparagus spears
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- black pepper
- a handful of pine nuts
- Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle approximately 0.3mm thick.
- Spread pesto onto the puff pastry leaving a 2cm border around the edge.
- Chop and arrange the vegetables on the tart.
- Bake at 190°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Season with black pepper and sprinkle pine nuts over the tart.