Until my boyfriend decided to become vegan I didn’t even know what tofu looked like. Since then, this soy bean curd has become a staple source of protein in our house. The key to great tofu is packing it with flavour before cooking it.
We have experimented at great lengths to perfect our tofu cooking skills with some mixed results but we have finally hit upon the winning formula. Tofu is best squashed before frying to remove extra moisture and create a firmer texture. This is easily done by slicing the tofu, wrapping it in kitchen paper and placing it between two chopping boards with some heavy recipe books on top for 15 minutes.
Marinades that are water-based work better than oil-based as they will infuse into the tofu more readily. The longer the tofu is marinated the better. When it is ready to cook, coating it in cornflour helps give it a crispy coating and adds some texture.
The beauty of this rice bowl is that you can mix it up with whatever vegetables take you fancy or need using up – our favourites include spiralised carrots, pea shoots, avocado and peppers. Whatever you choose make sure it’s fresh and colourful.
Teriyaki Tofu Donburi
A fresh, nutritious Japanese-inspired rice bowl topped with tofu and vegetables. perfect for a summer dinner.
- 1 block of firm tofu (about 400g)
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2x2cm piece of ginger grated
- cornflour for coating
- 150g jasmine rice
- vegetables e.g. pea shoots, carrot, avocado, bell pepper
- to garnish: sesame seeds, spring onions, chilli
- Slice the tofu into squares of thickness approximately 0.5cm and press as described above.
- Mix together the soy sauce, agave, lime juice, rice wine vinegar and ginger to form the marinade.
- Place the tofu in a bowl with the marinade and leave in the fridge for as long as possible (ideally overnight).
- Cook the rice (we like to season ours with cumin seeds and lime juice).
- Coat each slice of tofu with cornflour and then fry in oil over a medium heat until brown and crisp.
- Prepare your vegetables and then layer up your bowls with rice on the bottom then vegetables and tofu on top.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, spring onion and chilli to taste.