I love avocados right now. So following on from my creamy avocado pasta I bring you my ultimate guacamole. For the perfect Saturday night snack, nothing can rival tortilla chips with a mountain of homemade guacamole and salsa.
The key to making the perfect guacamole is a ripe avocado, a lesson I have learned the hard way trying to desperately mash solid lumps of avocado moments before guests arrived. Choose a dark skinned avocado which is slightly soft to squeeze, then peel the cap of the end, it should come off easily and been green underneath.
Go the extra mile and make your own tortilla chips too. Cut up tortilla wraps into triangles, sprinkle with salt and bake for 5-10 minutes at 190°C until lightly browned and crisp. The great thing about making your own is your can flavour them however you wish – a squeeze of lime juice, a sprinkling of paprika or spice it up with some chilli.
The Ultimate Guacamole
Takes 15 mins,
Makes 1 small bowl.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 salad tomato, deseeded and diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 handful of coriander, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of garlic infused olive oil
- Peel the avocado and mash it up. For chunkier guacamole do this with a fork, for a smoother result use a blender.
- Stir in the juice of a lime, spring onions, coriander, olive oil and tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy!