I blooming love biscuits and what is more perfect than a melt in the mouth buttery shortbread? Thankfully shortbread is quite easy to make vegan, you just have to substitute butter with a dairy-free margarine which is readily available in supermarkets.
This simple recipe has just 3 store cupboard ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes. Why not whip these up next time guests are coming round rather than reaching for the packet of digestives. This batch was made when a friend came round for the evening – they didn’t last long at all so if you’ve got a big crowd I would recommend making a double batch!
- 160g plain flour
- 100g dairy-free margarine
- 50g caster sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and combine by rubbing together the flour, butter and sugar into breadcrumbs.
- Bring the dough together and then gently roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of approximately 7mm.
- Cut out circles using a biscuit cutter then use a fork to gently imprint a pattern into the surface of the biscuit.
- Place the biscuits onto lightly oiled greaseproof paper and place into a preheated oven at 190°C for 15 minutes until golden.
- Sprinkle the biscuits with sugar and enjoy.