Sometimes you just need a big hearty bowl of creamy pasta. Comfort food doesn’t come much better than that. However, when cooking vegan creating that creamy pasta without dairy becomes tricky.
A great alternative for dairy is the creamy flesh of the avocado. When combined garlic, basil and lemon juice it makes a gorgeously creamy spaghetti coating sauce, perfect for when you are craving some twirled forkfuls of spaghetti.
We love whipping up a weeknight pasta dinner and this is one of our favourites.
Creamy Avocado Spaghetti
A creamy avocado and basil pesto sauce with spaghetti and roasted veg.
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- a handful of basil leaves, plus a few to garnish
- garlic clove, finely diced
- a splash of lemon juice
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 300g spaghetti
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 4 baby courgettes
- a handful of pine nuts
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and baby courgettes, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes.
- Place the spaghetti in boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Whilst the spaghetti is cooking, place the avocado, garlic, basil, lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Drain the pasta and stir through the avocado immediately until all strands are coated.
- Serve the pasta and top with the roasted vegetables, pine nuts and basil leaves.